Session 1.2: Branding and promoting origin-linked products
In this session, participants will be provided with information on the importance of developing an origin-linked product (OLP) branding strategy; the different branding tools which can be used and factors to consider when implementing a business strategy for OLPs, which integrates intellectual property (IP) tools such as Geographical Indications (GIs).
Learning exercises will be used throughout the session to allow participants to apply the knowledge transferred during each section.
Session learning objectives
- To discuss the importance of developing branding strategies for OLPs
- To discuss the importance of the collective dimension for the development of OLPs strategies inclusive of promotion in target markets
- To explain the different steps to establish a business strategy for OLPs using IP tools such as GIs
- To discuss the importance of integrating a communication strategy to convey key information on the OLP to relevant market players
Session learning outcomes
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Explain why it is important to integrate a branding and communication strategy for OLPs in the overall business strategy of a producer group
- Explain how to develop OLP branding and marketing strategies and explain the importance of using IP tools to implement the strategy
- Explain why quality schemes developed for the OLP are important for exporters and consumers
- Discuss the role of the producer group in developing, implementing and managing an OLP business strategy