Training Course on the ASEAN Common Guidelines on the Examination and Registration of Industrial Designs
On 29-30 October 2019, in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, ARISE+ IPR held a training course for ASEAN design examiners on the ASEAN Common Guidelines on the Examination and Registration of Industrial Designs. The main purpose of the Common Guidelines is to improve the quality, consistency and transparency of the design registration process across the ASEAN region.
Mr. Zulkarnain Muhammad, Deputy Director General of the Intellectual Property Corporation of Malaysia (MyIPO), gave the introduction to the course and stated that the Common Guidelines will help examiners in all ASEAN Member States with common examination practices that can be applied in their daily jobs. ‘The guidelines will enhance ASEAN regional integration and further harmonise the systems for the creation, protection, administration and enforcement of intellectual property rights in the ASEAN region, in line with international intellectual property standards and best practices’, said Mr. Muhammad.
The course followed a train-the-trainer methodology and covered all the content in the Common Guidelines, including definitions, visibility, technical and functional features, representation of designs, product indications, novelty and multiple applications and unity of designs, among other topics. The participating ASEAN Member States also discussed possible updates needed for the Common Guidelines and initiatives to further promote the use of the Common Guidelines in all ASEAN IP Offices and the ASEAN region.
- Train the trainer methodology [PDF - 0.6MB] [EN]
- Definition of Industrial Design [PDF - 4.8MB] [EN]
- Visibility, Technical and functional features [PDF - 2.7MB] [EN]
- Representation of the design [PDF - 1.6MB] [EN]
- Product indication, multiple applications and unity of design [PDF - 1.9MB] [EN]
- Novelty, Conflicts with prior rights [PDF - 4.1MB] [EN]
- Public policy, public order and morality, and Statutory Prohibitions [PDF - 3.1MB] [EN]
- Pictures [ZIP - 3MB] [22 items]